Semantic UMW Rotating Header Image

Posts By Day Of Week

After I posted this morning about the number of posts by hour on UMWBlogs, Jim reposted it, and from there D’Arcy Norman at UCalgary did similar digging in his WPMU tables. Since he’s working directly from the database, he could even dig out stats for comments, something that I’m unable to do.

One thing that really struck me was how similar the posts-by-hour data was between UCalgaryBlogs.ca and UMWBlogs.

Again, posts by hour at UMWBlogs:

And at UCalgary:

That got me wondering if the data that D’Arcy grabbed about posts by day would be similar. Close, but a little different:

UMWBlogs:

UCalgary:

Looks like at UMW we can’t get ourselves back into the blogging mode after the weekend until Tuesday, while the Canadians come out swinging on Monday!

Hopefully, as more and more campus-wide blogging platforms come up, we’ll be able to compare this kind of data across a lot of institutions. I don’t know what might pop out of it, but it should be interesting. (BTW: Cole Camplese wrote just today about the question of why to run a service in-house instead of outsourcing to an external service. What we have here is just another example of his argument–because when its in-house we can get at the really interesting underlying data.)

If nothing else, I think this can start to give some real insights into how students are living their lives, at least in a very broad sense. Along those lines, here’s the parallel data that I fantasize about having:

• Library patronage
  • Library book checkouts
  • Wikipedia readership
  • Beer consumption
  • TV watched
  • Homework time
  • Pleasure reading

Anything more that you all would like to do the comparisons on? Not that there’s any chance that I can actually dig all this up. I’m just sayin’ the comparisons would be interesting.

2 Comments

1. Yeah for statistics (especially when they’re aggregated to preserve privacy). Brown’s dashboard project might help with organizing/displaying the data, when you’ve got it: http://library.brown.edu/dashboard/info/

2. Yep! I’m all about getting at the data — but am happy to leave the real statistical analysis to others! 🙂

I’m actually hoping to find more people from libraries who get interested in the statistics from blogs like this. You all have the experience with usage records etc. I think there’s a lot of fruitful space to use similar techniques to understand blogging practices. When we bring in tagging behavior, especially, we start to play with both statistics and cataloguing?

Many thanks for the links…they look extremely helpful!