Semantic UMW Rotating Header Image

“Tis now the very blogging time of night…”: When We’re Posting to UMWBlogs

Tis now the very blogging time of night
When posts do churn and the bava breathes out
Edupunk to this world . . .

(Apologies to Shakespeare)

Over the weekend there was an odd glitch with the scrapers. They’re still down until we figure out exactly what’s going on, so unfortunately I might miss some of the blog data from over the weekend.

But it brought up the interesting question of, if I need to test something, when is it lease likely that people will be posting to UMWBlogs. Of course the intuitive guess is “late at night”. But I’ve got data, so let’s use it.

Here’s a table and simple bar chart of how many posts were written when. NB — many posts get aggregated and republished, which means that they show up in this data twice. Alas, I don’t have a good mechanism for tidying up the data there.

Looking at 16877 posts, for you folks who like that kind of stuff.

12am – 1am 631
1am – 2am 383
2am – 3am 164
3am – 4am 77
4am – 5am 62
5am – 6am 59
6am – 7am 118
7am – 8am 268
8am – 9am 548
9am – 10am 812
10am – 11am 1066
11am – 12pm 1020
12pm – 1pm 1026
1pm – 2pm 980
2pm – 3pm 1267
3pm – 4pm 1257
4pm – 5pm 1112
5pm – 6pm 766
6pm – 7pm 677
7pm – 8pm 856
8pm – 9pm 1014
9pm – 10pm 934
10pm – 11pm 910
11pm – 12am 870
Blogging Times chart

Blogging Times chart

I was actually a bit surprised by how late into night people are blogging — I expected it to taper off a little earlier. I’m also curious about the dip right at 5 and 6 pm. Is that just dinner time? If so, it might be interesting that our blogging practices are so closely tied to that social norm.

And it looks like if I’m going to be testing things, I’ll need lots of coffee.

19 Comments

1. zach whalen says:

This is some really interesting stuff. I’m curious, does this include the data from my drupal sites? I know we’re part of the picture in some senses, but I don’t know which sense this data comes out of. I mean, is this part of the RSS cloud, or is it drawn straight from the database(s)?

If we are included, I’d bet that a good portion of the late night blogging comes from my graphic novels class. I have a blog checkpoint set at every Monday morning at 6:00 AM to try and discourage last minute blogging, but it never fails that I see a flurry of posts after 2:00AM.

If we’re not in this dataset, do you have any tools I could use to scrape my sites individually?

2. […] Groom linked to a post by Patrick Murray-John with an interesting summary of the activity on UMWBlogs.org – and I was curious about what activity […]

3. Zach,
    Yep…you are indeed included. I made a design choice early on to work only from RSS — not touch the databased at all — partly to be able to draw on anything that has RSS (which is just about everything that matters!)

And yep again–your students are REALLY heavy on the late night blogging: Here’s the data from your graphic novels class

4. […] I posted this morning about the number of posts by hour on UMWBlogs, Jim reposted it, and from there D’Arcy Norman […]

5. Interesting data! I’m really enamored of the CSS tricks A List Apart gives for graphing and data visualization: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/accessibledatavisualization/

6. Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! The information mentioned in the article are some of the best available.

7. NFL STORE says:

The educational post helped me very much! Bookmarked your blog, very interesting categories everywhere that I read here! I really appreciate the info, thanks.

8. I completely agree with you. I have no point to raise in against of what you have said I think you explain the whole situation very well

9. Thanks to you who has provided the intricate information in simple words.

10. nfljerseyus says:

Recently,I have visited many online stores and find that a great number of Wholesale NFL Jerseys,Football Jerseys are coming into season, Cheap Football Jerseys on sale,owning to their good quality, low price and newest style.I’m so independent, trendy and cool that I’m eager to buy Cheap NFL Jerseys by myself and believe I will become the focus.

11. Payday Poan says:

The educational post helped me very much! Bookmarked your blog, very interesting categories every where that I read here!

12. We are supplying Cheap Moncler Jackets off 60%,Moncler Men,Moncler Women,Moncler Kids,you can find all family need in this Moncler Outlet.there is duck downs inside,it is very nice to keep warm for urself.which one is the best winter Moncler Down Jackets or Moncler Jackets,pls see our link,then u will see.

13. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful ! I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks.

14. There are definitely a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That may be a nice point to bring up.

15. wjustin says:

It’s good to see this information in your post, i was looking the same but there was not any proper resource, thanx now i have the link which i was looking for my research.Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.
    Hair transplant in Lahore

16. I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post in the future I was very happy to have found this site. I wanted to thank you for this excellent post.

17. camille says:

Thanks for the article. professional essay help Very interesting.

18. Nice Posting! I appreciate with the above information. I like the given information and this is very important information for us.

19. John says:

Thanks for the article. essays writers Very interesting.